Tuesday, December 13, 2011

December Music: Day Thirteen


The Smiths, "How Soon Is Now?"

I associate this song with December mainly because it appears in a scene between Clive Owen and Natalie Portman in the film Closer, which I saw in the theater seven years ago while I was in school in Williamsburg, right before leaving for Christmas break. (The same goes for Damien Rice's "The Blower's Daughter," which plays a much more prominent role in the film.) Both songs are better than the film, which is kind of a whiny, self-involved mess, but I have such a clear memory of going to see it that I often think of myself as liking it more than I did.

Anyway, I just realized today that the first line of "How Soon Is Now?" is not "I am the sun and the air," as I always thought, but "I am the son and the heir," which makes a lot more sense, considering the rest of the song. This is what happens when you grow up listening to pop music where the lyrics don't even have to resemble lucid thought, much less flow rationally from one verse to the next. (Damn if that song doesn't still work, though.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment