Sunday, November 20, 2011

The One That Got Away


I'm torn on whether or not I want to see My Week With Marilyn, the film based on two books by Colin Clive about Marilyn Monroe's time spent in England during the filming of The Prince and the Showgirl. Michelle Williams seems an odd choice to play Monroe, to me -- they have such different energies -- but I can also appreciate that her performance seems to be a true study of Monroe rather than an elongated impersonation, and despite my knee-jerk reaction against pretty much all biographical pictures, this one appears to be in the same low-key vein as The King's Speech and The Last Station, and I liked both of those films. There's just something inherently awkward to me about actors playing other actors, like they're stepping into some kind of infinity loop, playing people who played other people on screen -- and I'm not just talking about Williams as Monroe here, but also Kenneth Branagh as Laurence Olivier, Monroe's costar in The Prince and the Showgirl, and Julia Ormond as Olivier's wife Vivien Leigh -- but I am interested to see Emma Watson in a non-Hermione role, as she became my favorite part of the Harry Potter films as they got to the end of the series.

Anyway, the video above is a mash-up of scenes from My Week With Marilyn and a remix of Katy Perry's song "The One That Got Away." I don't know if it makes me want to see the film any more than I did before (okay, it does a little), but it does provide some Monroe-esque effervescence to the buzz around the film that the full trailer is lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment