Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy Birthday -- Fredric March and Scott Speedman

Two of my favorite actors -- well, one of them is a favorite actor; the other I mostly just like to look at -- had birthdays today and yesterday, respectively; Scott Speedman is 36, and Fredric March would have been 114.

March is one of my favorite actors, period, and certainly one of my favorite classic actors. I already wrote about some of his work here, but for more of his films, I would also recommend the original A Star Is Born (1937), the war drama The Best Years of Our Lives, and the technicolor screwball comedy Nothing Sacred, with Carole Lombard.

I haven't seen as much of Scott Speedman's work as an actor -- I never watched Felicity, and I don't have any interest in the Underworld films -- but he was pretty good in the indie drama The 24th Day, and if you were to go into my brain and create a composite picture of whatever my "type" is, it would probably come out looking a lot like him, so I tend to maintain an interest in him even when he makes dumb movies like The Vow. (An entire movie built around the old soap opera amnesia twist -- really?) He's kind of the male equivalent of Sarah Michelle Gellar in my mind: somebody who's really good on TV but has a patchy movie career, with some good roles interspersed among the middling ones. Maybe they could find him room for him on Gellar's new show. Now THAT I would watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment